March 28, 2016

FAITH vs. WORKS......


I someone gave an overview of this teaching in my Salvation article, but I felt the conviction to give a better descriptive teaching as well as it will be a refreshment. So to start off with the most bastardized verse that the “Works don’t save” crowd of Christianity…

Ephesians 2:8-9 ~ 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Most in the lukewarm church misunderstand this verse, we are saved by faith through grace and it is not of ourselves because we have faith in Christ that He died for us and His blood covers our past sins and that through His grace we are transformed into a New Creature because He guides us to do His ways and not our own ways. This is why we do good works to be like Christ and these works of behaving Christ-like is what does save us. These works are part of the faith. These God ordained works are not the dead works the Catholics and Mormons do, but are God ordained works that lead us to God’s righteousness.  Our character is no longer our character when we are dead to ourselves, we of ourselves do not have righteousness, but we submit ourselves to do good works to be transformed to have Christ’ character. His righteousness.

Now let’s compare what grace does…

Titus 2:11-13 ~ 11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Denying ungodliness. So this definition of “faith” is that we must submit ourselves to God and deny ungodliness in order to be saved. Saved by God-ordained works. Conditions.

God’s grace, His blood is not a license and justification to keep on living in sin.

Hebrews 1:26 ~
“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,”

So if we keep on willfully sinning after accepting Christ as our savior than He will not have His blood cover our sins, the grace of Him sacrificing Himself will not be given to the disobedient.

Galatians 2:20-21 ~
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness [come] by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

So being obedient is not a work we do of ourselves because we are dead to ourselves, we don’t live, but Christ lives in us. We do not frustrate God’s grace… Isn’t that interesting so we can frustrate His grace by using His blood as a justification to sin because “Only saved by faith alone, don’t have to work or forsake sin to be saved.”

Repentance has been removed from the church or if not removed it has been redefined to just say “Sorry” to God. Just apologize, but no applying ourselves, no change.

The Merriam Webster dictionary definition for repent is…

1
: to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life.
2
a :  to feel regret or contrition. b :  to change one's mind.

G3340 Strong’s Concordance…

1. To change one's mind, i.e. to repent
2. To change one's mind for better
3. Heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

Mark 1:15 ~ And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Faith isn’t just a conscious awareness and belief that Jesus exists and is your Savior, the definition of faith is trust, which it takes a lot of work and being dead to ourselves to be able to trust in God. This is where John 3:16 is as well often misused to just use a conscious belief is what saves us and that we do not need to apply a righteous lifestyle in our lives. Even the devils believe and know God exists… Why do you think that will save you?

James 2:14-26 ~
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 1And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

So we cannot say, “Saved by faith alone” because it goes directly against Verse 17, we need faith and works in order to be saved.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. 25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

So we see that works justified Abraham because our works prove our faith, and these works were not of him because they were God-ordained because God commanded him to do the works which is imputed to him for righteousness, not Abraham’s own righteousness, but God giving His righteousness to Abraham because of Abraham’s obedience.

Romans 4:1-5 ~ 1
What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Now let’s compare… It would be a long article if I posted all of Hebrews 11 here so I suggest to you all to go read the entire chapter…

Hebrews 11:6-11 ~ 6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

So we see that faith is diligently seeking God, His will for our lives, obedience to Him like Noah was obedient to build an ark.

By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: 10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God. 11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

So by faith Abraham obeyed God… By faith Abraham did a God-ordained work! His faith had action. It wasn’t just a conscious belief; it had substance to show that he had God’s grace on his life to obey and be saved. Amen! Faith is the root and obedience is the fruit.

Matthew 7:17-20 ~
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

So this is a parable that Jesus gave to say that every person that doesn’t do good works is hewn down and cast into hell. Faith is the root and our works are the fruits of our faith. Let’s read on…

Matthew 7:21-23 ~
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Notice this, this is someone who had belief in Christ, doing things in His name yet they are cast into hell. Why were they? Because they had faith, but no works, they didn’t do the will of the Father.

John 14:15 ~ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Philippians 2:12 ~
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Though again, even though we must submit to and obey God, keep His commandments, do God-ordained works… We can never say that it is our righteousness or our works because we did not think of these works to do and so the righteousness that is God’s character is not of our own, but we have only become a vessel for God to use us. Completely surrendered to the Holy Spirit.

Isaiah 64:6 ~
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

We act out God’s character by denying ourselves…

Luke 9:23 ~
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

1 Corinthians 15:31 ~
I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

Even Jesus who is God Himself came as a Son to show us how to be sons and daughters of Him…

John 5:30 ~
I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

John 8:28 ~ Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

John 2:49 ~
For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

John 14:12 ~
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Philippians 3:9 ~
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

A faith that does the will of the Father… This will conclude this article. There are so many verses that talk about works and laboring for the kingdom of God, but I pray that you have been edified by this much and present yourself as a living sacrifice to God.

Remember now, it is not faith vs. works… It is faith and works.

Romans 12:1-2 ~ 1
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Lord Jesus bless you and yours, 
 

8 comments:

  1. Sadly, you have no understanding of the letter of James because it can never be faith and works, you nullify the work of the cross.

    James is not speaking about salvic/saving faith at all.

    It is by grace through faith only that saves.

    Reading through your blog I really do think you have been following a false gospel and teacher.

    I think people should know that your preach a false gospel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly and obviously, you do not know what grace is. Titus 2:11-12. God did not give you His unmerited grace by His blood and by His spirit for you to go on and not work. Hebrews 10:26. Woe unto you who uses His grace for lasciviousness. Jude 1:4. What is grace from Ephesians 2:8? Titus 2:11-12.

      Delete
  2. Well this is such a mess... I do not even know where to start but if you read carefully Jesus says in Matthew 7, "I NEVER knew you"

    God does not cast a person into Hell for not doing enough good works, how much good works do you need to be saved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you brought up Matthew 7! Let's have a look at that Scripture...

      Matthew 7:21-23 ~ 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

      DOETH... You have to do the will of God.

      22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

      They did works, but...

      23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

      They did not forsake their sin! Iniquity! God's grace has come to teach us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts. Titus 2:11-12. All Glory to God for Him teaching me to walk in His Will. I am saved and God keeps me by His grace. Are you walking in the grace/will of God?

      John 14:15 ~ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

      Proverbs 28:13 ~ He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

      God bless!

      Delete
  3. Well, it would seem you have taken a different approach from what you have written above.

    Now you say they did works.

    Notice this, this is someone who had belief in Christ, doing things in His name yet they are cast into hell. Why were they? Because they had faith, but no works, they didn’t do the will of the Father.

    I guess I will leave you to ponder which one of your statements is the truth.

    Servanthoods preaches a false gospel, I know their beliefs well..find a better teacher you will be blessed.

    We are not saved by forsaking our sin..even Muslims are taught that.

    Stayed tune for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've been apart of ServantHoods 5 years and I have never met a Lina such as yourself so you don't know ServantHoods that well, unless Lina is not your real name and you are under this alias. Either way you need to repent and learn sound doctrine.

      Proverbs 28:13 says otherwise, Titus 2:11-12 says otherwise. Hebrews 10:26. Romans 6. I back up every point with Scripture.

      You do not see the difference of works that I am talking about. There are dead works of ourselves and God ordained works taught to us by God so we cannot boast. And again, Matthew 7:21-23 is clear that they did not forsake sin. Lukewarm. Revelation 3:15-16.

      Ephesians 2:8-10 ~ 8 For by grace

      What is grace? Titus 2:11-12. Biblicaly define it.

      are ye saved through faith;

      Hebrews 11. Read it.

      and that not of yourselves:

      Because God teaches us. You cannot take credit for teaching yourself to ride a bike if it was your parent who taught you how to do it.

      it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

      You are created to do His works/His will. Not works of yourself lest you can boast. All Glory goes to God.

      Matthew 7:19 ~ Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

      Delete
  4. I know there teaching very well on the street and by video. Lina is part of my name so yes it is my real name.

    Under the New Covenant righteous works do not save, you are living in the Old Covenant, the servanthoods cannot rightly divide scripture at its most basic level.... why would you follow them when the basic milk is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may know it, but you do not understand.

      I believe I am saved by faith. Again, read what faith is according to The Bible. Hebrews 11. I'm not living in the Old Covenant because I don't believe the law saves. I believe grace through faith saves.

      I'm with servanthoods because we teach ALL of The Bible. Not just the misdefined and cherry picked verses. God bless!

      Delete